Monday, June 11, 2007

Throughout this entire somewhat stressful situation of applying to oxford, dr. mantz's words had a soothing effect on my spirits. This is a man of high intellect, great wisdom, and deep thoughts (and sense of humour!) I have had the priviledge of being his student, adventuring on field trips, dining at his home with his lovely english wife and attending his landscape meditation small group. i have an incredibly high regard for this man. his e-mail was of great encouragement to me. (among others' words as well) it was everything i needed to hear. this is just the last little bit of his note:

"Remember to read, read, read until you become well-read. Just follow your interests and chase after what you would like to know. You are the bee in front of field of beautilful flowers (or ideas). Go and get them. Sweet is the taste of intellectual honey--especially Oxford flavour, as I have no doubt you will discover for yourself. Be encouraged. Best wishes for a full and happy summer of growing closer to God, who, in His grace, empowers you. DMANTZ"

3 Comments:

Blogger Gill said...

oh bethany, hold on to this man and his insight. keep a close grasp on what inspires you. don't give up. you have inspirited me and awakened in me a love for imperfection. to have crooked edges. to tear the corners. to purposely look messy. to tilt the paper or slant the writing. bethany you have shown me that there is beauty in everything. and how you have emphasized it in your art and your poetry and your life. keep nigh the people that inspire you most. for you have ignited a fire within many. love the lord the way you do. and glorify him in your work.

11:58 AM  
Blogger rsm said...

i like that!

bethany the brave, i think you will conquer Oxford. and that's just the beginning. ;)

12:25 PM  
Blogger Gill said...

It's curiously interesting how the counsel of one person to another can affect those not even involved. I have found myself back at this quotation, for reasons unknown to me, as yet. My eyes flitter over these words as if they had the power to give me wings. I think of adventure. Of the unknown. Of the unexplored.

Keep gathering honey Miss Bethany. Live among the flowers. And make a home with the ones of the finest scent. Live in the freedom of Christ.

Much love, Gillian.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home